Student Competition Awards 2013
Student team: Giorgio Enrico Bona (team leader), Robert Aroca Bosque, Mattia Bucari, Andrea Castagnoli, Adrián Gomariz Casado (Erasmus)
Supervisor: Lorenzo Trainelli
Competition: 2013 Airbus “Fly Your Ideas” contest
Competition type: International student design competition
Sponsorship: Airbus + UNESCO
Ranking: Finalist (one of 5 out of 618)
Flybrid is an integrated concept aimed to the transformation of regional aviation at large. It is based on a novel 90-seat hybrid-electric airliner using only a variable quantity of pre-charged batteries to avoid in-flight battery recharge. This solution is framed within the airport system, in terms of both battery handling on the apron and battery recharging in dedicated areas that can be conveniently integrated as active nodes within a regional electric grid.
- “Tutto pronto a Tolosa per la finale di Fly Your Ideas 2013”, Trasportando, June 3, 2013 [online article].
- “Airbus Fly Your Ideas 2013 contest – finalists”, Airbus, June 11, 2013 [video].
- “Fly Your Ideas 2013”, Airbus, June 27, 2013 [video].
- “Flybrid - Airbus Fly Your Ideas 2013”, July 23, 2013 [video presented at the competition].
- “Team Flybrid”, Politecnico di Milano, October 23, 2013 [video (in Italian), video (in English)]
- “Team Flybrid by Politecnico di Milano”, iTunes, November 5, 2013 [audio podcast].
Bona G. E., Bucari M., Castagnoli A., Trainelli L., "Flybrid: Envisaging the Future Hybrid-Powered Regional Aviation", AIAA paper no. 2014-2733, AIAA/3AF Aircraft Noise and Emissions Reduction Symposium, AIAA Aviation and Aeronautics Forum and Exposition 2014, Atlanta, GA, USA, June 16-20, 2014. doi:10.2514/6.2014-2733
Student team: Roberto Alicino, Daniel Alvarez Cadena (Erasmus), Luca Arpaia, Samuele Draghi, Andrea Faina (team leader), Carlo Fuentes Roman (Erasmus)
Supervisor: Lorenzo Trainelli, Stefano Cacciola, Federico Gualdoni
Competition: PoliMI “Switch2Product” contest
Competition type: Student design competition
Sponsorship: Politecnico di Milano
Ranking: Selected in the 10 best ideas
The Argus is an innovative UAV designed for high-precision agricultural and environmental monitoring applications, with a remarkably high endurance and operational flexibility.