AMATECH - Aerospace Materials and Technologies
Prof. Giuseppe Sala
+39 02 2399 8361
- Smart Material and Structures - development of embedding techniques and production processes for integrating sensors (fiber optics, FBG, chirped FBG) and micro-actuators (shape memory alloys wires and strips, piezo-ceramic plates) into host materials (polymeric composites) to produce aerospace components. Study and development of smart integrated semi-finished products (pre-preg), embedding fibre optics (sensing) and shape memory alloys (actuation). Technologies: heated platen press and autoclave processes, vacuum-assisted resin transfer moulding.
- Health and Usage Monitoring Systems – development of integrated systems for technological monitoring (onset of thermo-elastic stresses during curing process), usage monitoring (load, stress, strain, temperature measurement during components operational life) and health monitoring (onset and growth of damage) of aerospace components. The latter exploiting a strong synergy with accurate numerical investigations of damage onset and propagation, carried out through proprietary explicit routines implemented into a commercial code.
- Morphing and Chiral Structures – numerical modeling, design, production and experimental assessment of composites chiral components. Assembling of complex integrated full-scale structures exploiting passive morphing capabilities, made of composites, metallic, polymeric and elastomeric components. Preliminary design of complex morphing structures exploiting active morphing capabilities, provided by the embedment of shape memory alloys or shape memory polymers. Preliminary design of mechanical testing and wind tunnel aeroelastic testing
- Self-Healing Materials – study, production and assessment of polymeric components made of self-healing polymers (ionomers). Development of integrated components (self-healing multilayer, self-healing sandwich) low, medium and hyper velocity testing. Definition of reference parameters relating projectile dimensions and layer thickness to self-healing capabilities in different (velocity) conditions. Experimental and numerical investigation of healing mechanisms, assessment of possible application (space multilayers, vessels). Compatibility of self-healing materials with space environment (thermal tests, out-gassing tests).
- Development of functionally-graded and fully integrated materials, exploring the possibility to develop bio-mimetic materials, i.e. exploiting in the mean time sensing, actuation and self-healing features.
- Development and validation of reliable and affordable technological processes, allowing the production of structures and components suited to real application.
- PE8_9 Materials engineering (biomaterials, metals, ceramics, polymers, composites, etc.)
- PE7_4 Systems engineering, sensorics, actorics, automation
- PE5_8 Intelligent materials – self assembled materials
- PE8_1 Aerospace Engineering
- Multi-functional materials and structures
- Environmental-friendly materials and technologies